Keith Stroup of NORML
What Does the 2020 Election Hold for Cannabis Legalization?
Cannabis legalization has come a long way in the last few decades. Thanks to educational efforts, passionate advocates, and non-profits like NORML and the Marijuana Policy Project, the movement of public opinion towards the legalization of responsible cannabis use by adults has commenced. This week Miggy and Tom are joined by a true celebrity in the cannabis community, Keith Stroup, the founder of NORML to talk about the past, present, and future of marijuana law reform.
What is NORML?
- National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws
- Founded by Keith Stroup in 1970
- Headquartered in Washington, D.C.
- NORML lobbies Congress and state legislatures for rational cannabis policies
- NORML serves as an cannabis reform advocate to the media
- NORMAL also serves as a database for finding cannabis attorneys
- Official mission statement: “To move public opinion sufficiently to legalize the responsible use of marijuana by adults, and to serve as an advocate for consumers to assure they have access to high quality marijuana that is safe, convenient and affordable.”
Policy Statements from NORML
- NORML does not oppose the imposition of reasonable taxation and regulations on the commercial production and retail sale of cannabis
- NORML is neutral on policies that propose caps limiting the initial number of licensed cannabis producers
- NORML calls for the deschedulation of cannabis from the list of scheduled drugs
- NORML supports the need for home cultivation
- NORML supports the right of adults to consume cannabis responsibly, whether of medical or personal purposes
Principles of Responsible Cannabis Use According to NORML
- Adults Only – Cannabis is only to be consumed by adults unless recommended for medical use for a child
- No Driving – Responsible consumers do not operate motor vehicles while impaired by cannabis
- Set and Setting – Responsible consumers will take note of the conditions (time, place) they are consuming in and respect their self and their values while under the influence
- Resist Abuse – Responsible consumers do not consume cannabis to the extent that it impairs health, personal development, or achievement
- Respect Rights of Others – Responsible consumers respect the rights, standards, and preferences of property and people
How to Stand with NORML
- Contact your elected official at all levels of government and let them know you oppose arresting responsible cannabis consumers
- Tell your officials , “It makes no sense from a fiscal perspective, a health and safety perspective, or from a moral perspective to continue to stigmatize and criminalize adults who choose to responsibly consume marijuana rather than alcohol or prescription pills.”
- Become a member and join a chapter – There are NORML branches and chapters for states, localities, and even colleges all around the world
- Join or start a local NORML chapter
- Tom Howard at CannabisIndustryLawyer.com
- Miggy at WeedNews.co
Interested in coming on as a guest? Email our producer at email@example.com.
How is Cannabis Portrayed in the Media? You’ve probably seen it, headlines around mid-to-late October warning parents that people are sneaking cannabis into their kids Halloween candy. You and I both know that in this economy - no one is giving away free weed....
How Do I Win a Cannabis License? It’s application season in Illinois and competition is fierce! With only 75 licenses to award, every point in an application counts. Applying for a license is costly, competitive, and in most cases a one time opportunity. This week...
Need A Cannabis Attorney?
Our cannabis business attorneys are also business owners. They can help you structure your business or help protect it from overly burdensome regulations.