Vermont Cannabis Laws
Want to Start Your Cannabis Business
Vermont just joined the states that regulate the adult-use of cannabis with the passing of new marijuana laws. Although the possession and use of recreational marijuana was legalized in 2018, the lawmakers at the moment failed to pass any framework that regulated the sale and production of adult use cannabis.
Finally this October 7, the governor of Vermont approved the S54 law l to regulate and tax cannabis sales to become law, without his signature
If you are interested in getting your cannabis business started in Vermont here is all you need to know about this new rules.
S54 Law in Vermont
The S54 law sets a regulatory system for the production and sale of cannabis and cannabis products in Vermont.
The bill creates the Cannabis Control Board as the independent regulatory authority for the commercial cannabis market. The Cannabis Control Board is responsible for adopting regulations and administering a licensing program, including compliance and enforcement, for cannabis establishments.
The law changes “Marijuana” to “Cannabis”
RELATED POST: How to Open a Cannabis Dispensary in Arizona
RELATED POST: Arizona Cannabis Lawyer
Want to Start a Cannabis Business
Details of the S54 you should know
Adults 21 and older may:
- Possess up to 1 ounce of cannabis or five grams of hashish;
- Cultivate up to 2 mature and four immature plants in a secure location ; and
- Possess the cannabis produced by the plants at the same secure location
Licenses available in Vermont
- Cultivator: engage in commercial cultivation of cannabis
- Product manufacturer: manufacture, prepare, and package cannabis products and to sell cannabis products to licensed retailer, wholesaler,or another product manufacturer
- Wholesaler: buys cannabis from cultivators and process, transport, and sell cannabis to licensed product manufacturers and retailers
- Retailer: sell cannabis products to consumers for off-site consumption
- and testing laboratory: test cannabis for cultivators, product manufacturers,wholesalers,and retailers.
Applicants are limited to obtaining a maximum of one type of each license. Applicants are not required to be Vermont residents, but residency will be considered in prioritizing issuance of licenses.Vermont-Cannabis-Update
Want to Start a Cannabis Business
Rules concerning any cannabis establishment include:
- The form and content of license and renewal applications;
- Qualifications for licensure that are directly and demonstrably related to the operation of a cannabis establishment, include:
- Requirement for fingerprint-based criminal history record check and regulatory record check:
- Oversight requirements;
- Inspection requirements;
- Records to be kept by licensees and the required availability of the records;
- Employment and training requirements;
- Security requirements, including lighting, physical security, video, and alarm requirements;
- Restrictions on advertising, marketing, and signage;
- Health and safety requirements;
Applicants are limited to obtaining a maximum of one type of each license. Applicants are not required to be Vermont residents, but residency will be considered in prioritizing issuance of licenses.
Taxes in Vermont
The S54 sets a 14% cannabis excise tax, plus Vermont’s 6% sales tax with no local option tax.
Can Localities Prohibit Cannabis Production and Sales in Vermont
Municipalities have authority to require municipal permits for cannabis establishments and may prohibit the operation of a cannabis establishment or a specific type of cannabis establishment
On January 1, 2021, new statutes, as well as rules adopted by the Board, governing the Medical Cannabis Registry and Medical Cannabis Dispensaries take effect, and those programs transfer from the Department Public Safety to the Board.
Don’t miss out on our Marijuana Legalization Map where you can browse the current status of laws in every state in the United States and see all our posts on each of them.
Interested in coming on as a guest? Email our producer at email@example.com.
Cannabis And Hemp Industry Insurance Insurance coverage is a necessity for businesses in every industry, cannabis and hemp related ones are certainly not the exception. But of course, insurance in the cannabis industry comes with its twist and many complications, as...
Montana Cannabis News | Montana Cannabis Legalization Montana is getting ready to vote on recreational cannabis legalization this November! With two initiatives on the ballot - initiatives CI-118 and I-190 - Montana is one of the five states, alongside Arizona,...
“Can I grow Marijuana?” is a very popular question in any state of the United States, Michigan is certainly no exception. Before you start home growing in your State, make sure you know the answer. Stay compliant with your state laws, or else you may risk criminal...
How to open a cannabis dispensary in Michigan – a question that’s on every cannabis entrepreneur’s mind. The industry is getting a lot of attention for its impressive growth in such a short amount of time. This one year old industry has annual cannabis-related sales...
How To Get Your Cannabis License in Michigan Cannabis licenses in every state of the United States tend to be a tricky situation, Michigan state is not the exception. But with an industry growing as fast as the medical and recreational cannabis industry in this...
Both medical Marijuana and adult-use marijuana are legal in the State of Michigan. If you are interested in becoming a part of the cannabis industry in Michigan, here is all you need to know about its laws.
Phone: (309) 740-4033 || Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
IL 61602, USA
Call Us (309) 740-4033 || e-Mail Us email@example.com